Minnesota-Scores.net

MNScores Home Boys: FB Soc BB Hock WR Lax Base Girls: VB Soc BB Hock Lax SB

Twitter Facebook

Class A section 2

Moderators: Snowman, Weinzierl11

Re: Class A section 2

Postby sportsnut on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:47 pm

cpn25 wrote:Looks like seeds should be set (barring any major upsets tonight). Predictions on how these turn out?

North:
#1 ACGC
#2 LPHT
#3 SESM
#4 CMC

South:
#1 USC
#2 St. Clair
#3 MLA
#4 Loyola

The #2/#3 difference doesn't necesssarily matter being that all 2nd round games are at a neutral site.

Ah yes, the Valley Conference strikes again. Hey, I have an idea...let's give the team that has steamrolled its way to the last two section championships a reason to play the "no respect" card going into the tournament. That's a great idea... The only two close games Mt. Lake has seen in the post-season the last two years were a one-point win over Loyola last year and a nine-point win the year before over a Southwest Star team that finished in the bottom half of the Red Rock Conference -- and that was in the sub-section finals. Never mind that MLA has been ranked in state all season, was ranked as high as #2 just two weeks ago, beat the defending state champions and has only had two games against Class A teams where the margin of victory has been fewer than 10 points.

That's OK. I'm sure that Naas would NEVER use that as a motivating tool for his team... :lol:
sportsnut

Postby HOLBBBFan on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:58 pm

sportsnut wrote:
cpn25 wrote:Looks like seeds should be set (barring any major upsets tonight). Predictions on how these turn out?

North:
#1 ACGC
#2 LPHT
#3 SESM
#4 CMC

South:
#1 USC
#2 St. Clair
#3 MLA
#4 Loyola

The #2/#3 difference doesn't necesssarily matter being that all 2nd round games are at a neutral site.

Ah yes, the Valley Conference strikes again. Hey, I have an idea...let's give the team that has steamrolled its way to the last two section championships a reason to play the "no respect" card going into the tournament. That's a great idea... The only two close games Mt. Lake has seen in the post-season the last two years were a one-point win over Loyola last year and a nine-point win the year before over a Southwest Star team that finished in the bottom half of the Red Rock Conference -- and that was in the sub-section finals. Never mind that MLA has been ranked in state all season, was ranked as high as #2 just two weeks ago, beat the defending state champions and has only had two games against Class A teams where the margin of victory has been fewer than 10 points.

That's OK. I'm sure that Naas would NEVER use that as a motivating tool for his team... :lol:

You going to be ok. I suppose they are #3 going by QRF. Nothing to do no respect, that's just how it is. But go ahead and use whatever you need to as a fan to get yourself going :roll:
HOLBBBFan

Postby shorty on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Pairings are out:

South Sub-Section: MLA #1, USC #2, ST. CLAIR #3, loyola #4

North Sub-Section: ACGC #1, LP/HT #2, SESM #3, Springfield #4.

Pig-tail games on Feb. 20 - Sub-section quarter-finals at hi seeds on the 25th. Sub-Sect Semi-finals Feb 28th at Le Sueur and Lake Crystal. Sub=Sect Finals at Gustavus March 4th. Section finals at MSU-Mankato March 7th.
shorty

Postby sportsnut on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:33 pm

HOLBBBFan wrote:
sportsnut wrote:

North:
#1 ACGC
#2 LPHT
#3 SESM
#4 CMC

South:
#1 USC
#2 St. Clair
#3 MLA
#4 Loyola

You going to be ok. I suppose they are #3 going by QRF. Nothing to do no respect, that's just how it is. But go ahead and use whatever you need to as a fan to get yourself going :roll:

HOL? Isn't Section 2A a little out of your area? So why exactly would you care how things go in Section 2A if you're in the NW part of the state?

And believe me, if I were a fan of any particular team, I'd be a lot less snarky in some of my comments.
sportsnut

Postby HOLBBBFan on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:38 pm

sportsnut wrote:Hey, I have an idea...let's give the team that has steamrolled its way to the last two section championships a reason to play the "no respect" card going into the tournament. That's a great idea...

You're right, a lot less snarky. I see more basketball then you might know. I also like to keep track of other areas of the state. Just thought I'd have a laugh out of you obviously overreacting to some posting seeds according to the QRF. But go ahead, keep acting all high and mighty with your posts.
HOLBBBFan

Postby Huckstar12 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:34 pm

North:
#1 ACGC
#2 LPHT
#3 SESM
#4 CMC

South:
#1 USC
#2 St. Clair
#3 MLA
#4 Loyola

This was posted on Tuesday and was in order of QRF and not the way the coaches or anyone else seen it.

Suprised a bit to see Nicollet below BLH with one more win, a better section record and just beat them last week.
Huckstar12

Postby statsguy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:55 pm

huckstar12 since when do we count 106 then 102 and 25 7 12 looks like the coaches had a lot to say putting MLA ahead of both USC ans st clair
statsguy

Postby bballfan3 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Not too much of a surprise on the top of the section. Every team was pretty much slotted beforehand except for USC and MLA fighting for the number 1 seed in the South.

That being said: Who does everyone have projected to the Subsection finals on both sides? Is there any way that the top teams of ACGC, LPHT, MLA and USC get knocked off before the subsection finals?
bballfan3

Postby broncos on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:03 am

Upsets, for sure. I have seen MLA and LPHT play and have a little insight on USC. I don't know much about ACGC. LPHT is beatable but also play very well at times. They have two fine guards and a couple bigs. Inconsistency on their part could mean an upset. If Kirk gets in foul trouble, MLA can lose to anyone. They have one decent guard and that is it. MLA does have some depth with a couple OK bigs off the bench but the bigs are not game changers like Kirk. USC I hear is athletic and are pretty well balanced OK size but no big man. With that said, St Clair could beat USC or Mt Lake Area. SESM gets hot from 3 range they could pull an upset in the North. Loyola I have no idea about but they loss a close one to MLA last year in the playoffs. It will be a battle from semis on.
broncos

Postby sportsnut on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:33 am

Potential upsets are certainly possible in the south half.

For starters, I know that SWU has played pretty well against MLA. They have a couple of guards who can score in bunches if they get hot, and they have a post who has a knack for drawing charge calls against opposing posts. If they can somehow get Kirk into foul trouble, anything is possible.

The team I could see throwing the whole sub-section on its head would be Loyola. I was very impressed with them last year when they took MLA down to the wire. If they get hot from the outside, they'll be as tough to beat as anyone in the entire bracket.

I don't know a lot about USC or St. Clair. From what I can tell, I don't expect either TML or AC to give USC much of a push. What I do know about St. Clair is they are very athletic and have some really nice shooters.

I think the south still comes down to MLA or USC, and I don't know enough about USC to say one way or another which team would be the favorite.

As far as the north goes, I know ACGC puts up a lot of points, but I think that LPHT might be the team to beat. They have a lot of talent back from last year, including perhaps the best backcourt tandem in the section. Machemehl can flat out score at will from the outside. Honestly, I think upsets might be less likely in the north than they would potentially be in the south. Keep in mind that last year, when LPHT made it to the section finals, Machemehl could barely even walk against MLA and MLA kind of exposed that fact. When he's healthy, he might be the only other player in the section (at least that I know of) who is as much of a game changer as Kirk is for MLA.
sportsnut

PreviousNext

Return to Boys Basketball