Minnesota-Scores.net

MNScores Home Boys: FB Soc BB Hock WR Lax Base Girls: VB Soc BB Hock Lax SB

Twitter Facebook

Section 7AA tourney

Moderators: Snowman, Weinzierl11

Section 7AA tourney

Postby bomberreporter on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 pm

There has been discussion about the 7AA tourney in the "power rankings" thread, so I hope you don't mind that I started a new topic just for 7AA.

Braham's AD and girls' coach Tim Malone has just sent me an update on the current point total for the boys' teams. He's sent it to all the coaches in the section for review and a check for accuracy.

Right now, Braham and ML-WR have piled up 57 points by earning 5 points for a win over a Class AAAA school, 4 points for each win over a Class AAA school, 3 points for each win over a Class AA school and 1 point for each win over a Class A school. Esko has 49 points. EAch team has 2 games to play.

ML-WR must play two Class AA schools yet, while Braham plays one A and one AA. Thus, if both teams win their remaining two games, the Rebels will earn the #1 seed by virtue of having one more point. Of course, if the Rebels and/or Braham should lose a game or two, things can be different. If they should end up tied in point totals, Braham would be #1 by virtue of the head-to-head win, which is the first tie-breaker. However, I don't expect ML-WR to lose to Proctor or to HF. Esko will be the three seed in the south (they're too far back to catch the #2), which means Esko vs Braham is the likely second round match on Saturday, 12th.

In the north, VA and IF have locks on 1 and 2 seeds, respectively. #3 DR is too far back to catch IF, and IF is too far back to catch VA.

Thus the winner of the anticipated Braham vs Esko game would then play the top seed left in the north after the second game. That would seem to be VA.

And, if the Rebels are the #1 seed in the south and win their first two games (that seems likely), they would play the 2nd high seed remaining from the north in the section semis, and that would seem to be IF.

For Braham to play ML-WR in the section tourney, regardless of which of them is #1 and which is #2 in the south, it would have to be the section finals.

This will be a great tournament (again)! Good luck to all teams!
bomberreporter

Re: Section 7AA tourney

Postby oldguy on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:27 pm

You know, bomberreporter... If your posts weren't so well thought out, reasoned and supported, and if you were just a little bit (at all) arrogant about your Braham squad, people would have an easier time replying to attack you...
oldguy

Postby thegreatone1 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Bomber Braham's last 2 games are against Legacy Christian and Mora. I just Checked and both Legacy Christian and Mora are both 2aa schools. You can check for yourself but unless the Minnesota-scores.net website is wrong both school are 2aa
thegreatone1

Postby GMAN on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 am

That would give Braham the #1 seed if they win out. Still gotta win though. I'll say in the semi's it'll be:
Braham vs. Deer River ( DR plays I-Falls this week i think)
Virginia vs. MLWR

Braham vs. MLWR

Braham to state
GMAN

Postby bomberreporter on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 am

So, it appears I had a well thought out, well supported post to start this thread, but it contained false information.
I was certain I'd checked on Legacy Christian earlier this season and saw they were in Class A (Meadow Creek used to be in A). Anyway, my bad.

So, this is good news for the Bombers as the road through the section is paved in more places for the #1 seed in the south than it is for the #2.

I've thought all along it would be Braham vs ML-WR in the finals, and I'll stick to that regardless of the seeding.
Thanks for correcting this!

And, oldguy, I'm not in this for the attacks!
bomberreporter

Postby Johan_Fan on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 am

Who else did MLWR lose to besides Braham??
Johan_Fan

Postby bomberreporter on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:20 am

Really??
Cass Lake-Bena; during the holiday tournament.
And I'd heard that the Rebels were up by 15 in the second half and the roof fell in on them somehow.
bomberreporter

Postby theJrepresentAOA on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

What has happened to Esko in the latter portion of this season? They were highly ranked for a while...

That being said, is Esko the team most likely to upset on of the favorites? (MLWR & Braham)
theJrepresentAOA

Postby missinghoagies on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:11 pm

bomberreporter wrote:Really??
Cass Lake-Bena; during the holiday tournament.
And I'd heard that the Rebels were up by 15 in the second half and the roof fell in on them somehow.

They were up in the area of 15 and Coach Dickensen tried to give some seniors(he has 9 of them and only 3 start) some time and it blew up in the team's face. By the time he got starters back in the game CLB had pulled close to even and the starters could not get the momenteum back. CLB ended up winning by 6, I felt really bad for Coach Dickensen as he took ownernship for the loss to all who would listen to him after the game and even the next day at the tournament. He was trying to do the right thing and it burned him a little. He still feels badly about this game but I believe most people in MLWR believe he and his staff have done a great job with this team. They just tied a school record for most regular season wins in a season.

Esko/MLWR will be a barn burner,this is a weird rivlalry, I am not a native MLWR person but in talking with many of them if there is something wrong in their life there is probably some person in Esko to blame :shock: anyway the MLWR/Esko rivalalry has become a bit of the hammer and nail type thing...early to mid 00"s had Esko holding the hammer, then there was a bit of transition period and now in most boys sports MLWR is the hammer...I get the sense that Esko folks are tired of losing in most boys sports to the Rebels and are even getting a little desperate for that elusive big win...anyway I think Esko will play their best game in that q-final match-up and really challenge the Rebels.
missinghoagies

Postby missinghoagies on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm

[quote="theJrepresentAOA"]What has happened to Esko in the latter portion of this season? They were highly ranked for a while...

That being said, is Esko the team most likely to upset on of the favorites? (MLWR & Braham)[/quote]

They lost to better teams IMO except for the loss to Cloquet although that was a really bad match-up for Esko, they lost twice to Duluth Central, once to Duluth East, once to Cloquet and once to MLWR, look for them to give PL a game when they play them later this week. I give them credit for playing some bigger schools, although it is a little funny how they can find a way to play Duluth Central twice but not their Polar League Rivals MLWR and Barnum twice?
missinghoagies

Next

Return to Boys Basketball