Minnesota-Scores.net

MNScores Home Boys: FB Soc BB Hock WR Lax Base Girls: VB Soc BB Hock Lax SB

Twitter Facebook

QRF.....

Moderators: Snowman, Weinzierl11

Re: QRF.....

Postby PRFISHER on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Why don't you add that I'm the section 6A girls basketball rep too. That when I heard they wanted to go QRF I had the coaches that I'm supposed to represent vote and that the voting came back totally in favor of a coaches vote. I then brought that to the committee's attention and it didn't matter. Please change my name from PRFISHER to BrianHovland....
PRFISHER

Postby jacob070802 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:51 pm

It would be extremely sad if a Region or section decided to switch to QRF to seed without coaches approval. More that sad.....
jacob070802

Postby Bballplaya11 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Weinzierl11 wrote:Just so everyone knows I deleted a post by PRFISHER. Until now I felt this post had done a good job of not getting personal with attacks and that posters were able to have a civil discussion on opposing views.

PRFISHER took an unnecessary shot at my uncle, Paul Weinzierl who is the high school principal in Long Prairie and a region committee member. This was done by a poster that doesn't have the guts to post it using his real name so I will.

PRFISHER is Brian Hovland, the head girls basketball coach at Underwood. I know this breaks my self imposed rule of not calling out specific people on the board. This is the email address used to register PRFISHER: bhovland@underwood.k12.mn.us

Brian,
If you have a problem with someone have the courage and class to take it up with them directly. To say the QRF was used in a specific section because of my uncle shows you have neither.

If you don't like what I wrote, that's too bad.

Scott Weinzierl

I did not read Coach Hovlands' post that was deleted. Personal attacks should not be included on this site that coaches, parents AND kids come to get information about Minnesota sports.

However, if your uncle is in a position to help decide when and if the QRF is used in a section or area I would feel like that was a conflict of interest on his part. I don't know if he has any say in that, but I would hope he would understand that it is not appropriate for him to be involved in decisions that would directly impact a relative. I'm saying this as a neutral party in this instance concerning that section. I don't know if he is in a position to help dictate that or not, I'm just saying "if" he is then it would be an issue.

Much of the frustration from all of this is that many coaches feel like their voices are not being heard. In the case coach Hovland brought up he mentioned that the coaches in his area were NOT in favor of the procedure and it was being forced on them by people not involved in the process. That is wrong.

I know of sections were one sub-section seeds one way and the other half seeds another way. That isn't right, especially when those teams cross over and play each other prior to the finals. Everybody in the section should be seeded using the same procedure.

I have long believed that since teams are playing to go to the MSHSL sponsored state tournament, that the MSHSL should have a uniform way for teams to seed. Whether it's coaches voting, a points system or now the QRF...it should all be done the same.

Coaches...I'm sure it would still be in your hands if so many of you hadn't screwed another team over at some point in your own section trying to avoid a particular team. It happens all of the time and that's why many coaches are turned off to coaches voting.
Bballplaya11

Postby jaguarssports on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Bballplaya11 wrote:
Weinzierl11 wrote:Just so everyone knows I deleted a post by PRFISHER. Until now I felt this post had done a good job of not getting personal with attacks and that posters were able to have a civil discussion on opposing views.

PRFISHER took an unnecessary shot at my uncle, Paul Weinzierl who is the high school principal in Long Prairie and a region committee member. This was done by a poster that doesn't have the guts to post it using his real name so I will.

PRFISHER is Brian Hovland, the head girls basketball coach at Underwood. I know this breaks my self imposed rule of not calling out specific people on the board. This is the email address used to register PRFISHER: bhovland@underwood.k12.mn.us

Brian,
If you have a problem with someone have the courage and class to take it up with them directly. To say the QRF was used in a specific section because of my uncle shows you have neither.

If you don't like what I wrote, that's too bad.

Scott Weinzierl

I did not read Coach Hovlands' post that was deleted. Personal attacks should not be included on this site that coaches, parents AND kids come to get information about Minnesota sports.

However, if your uncle is in a position to help decide when and if the QRF is used in a section or area I would feel like that was a conflict of interest on his part. I don't know if he has any say in that, but I would hope he would understand that it is not appropriate for him to be involved in decisions that would directly impact a relative. I'm saying this as a neutral party in this instance concerning that section. I don't know if he is in a position to help dictate that or not, I'm just saying "if" he is then it would be an issue.

Much of the frustration from all of this is that many coaches feel like their voices are not being heard. In the case coach Hovland brought up he mentioned that the coaches in his area were NOT in favor of the procedure and it was being forced on them by people not involved in the process. That is wrong.

I know of sections were one sub-section seeds one way and the other half seeds another way. That isn't right, especially when those teams cross over and play each other prior to the finals. Everybody in the section should be seeded using the same procedure.

I have long believed that since teams are playing to go to the MSHSL sponsored state tournament, that the MSHSL should have a uniform way for teams to seed. Whether it's coaches voting, a points system or now the QRF...it should all be done the same.

Coaches...I'm sure it would still be in your hands if so many of you hadn't screwed another team over at some point in your own section trying to avoid a particular team. It happens all of the time and that's why many coaches are turned off to coaches voting.

How long has the QRF been used for seeding purposes? Less than a year, right? It was never used prior to 2011-12, right?

The "points" system never factored in 'head-to-head' either...so who can argue that the QRF is not an improvement on the section point seeding method? That's what the old Section 6AA-West used forever and ever and ever...! All those years, the 6AA-East sub-section used coaches' voting! I didn't see complaints about that system, but whatever, it's not like some people have any consistency or principles on what they complain about.
jaguarssports

Postby WCCNorthFan on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 pm

basketballjones wrote:I have talked to a coach and all the coaches voted sauk number 1 besides the sauk coach who could not vote his team number 1. So how do you explain playing teams like fergus and richfield, woodbury, duluth east . And I do know basketball. I was at the wadena sauk game and at the albany sauk game when they got beat there also. and saw the whole thing. And cant wait for sections to start and watch all the calls in favor of peschel like previous years section games.
w. How did the Staples girls turn OUT?
WCCNorthFan

Postby run-n-gun on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 am

Section 5A coaches were not given a choice.

The email I received from my AD said, "You will be seeded based on the QRF. Please don't shoot the messenger."
run-n-gun

Postby sunnyday on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Does anybody have an example where there will be a different team playing in the state tournament under QRF than under a coach's vote? Or did team A still have to beat team B?
sunnyday

Postby PRFISHER on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:18 pm

My fight with my region committee is that it makes a lot of difference. If you earned that spot by conventional wisdom then you deserve it. The team and community that gets it should be the home team, wear black, have their band play the star spangled banner or whatever. Sunnyday with your logic it really doesn't matter what we use, even with a phantom coaches screwed us over vote.

My prime example would be section 7, this section cross brackets....

QRF #3 MIB lost to QRF #4 Northwoods in the regular season. Northwoods went undefeated. Northwoods got the 2 seed in their subsection based on the QRF.

They had to then go play QRF #5 Barnum and lost by 1. When they should have been playing the winner of Barnum and MIB in the section championship. Is that fair to the kids? The community? They earned that spot. You can't do much better than undefeated in the regular season....

PRFISHER
Brian Hovland
Head Underwood Girls Basketball Coach
Section 6A GBB Rep.
PRFISHER

Postby Cardinal212315 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm

PRFISHER wrote:They had to then go play QRF #5 Barnum and lost by 1. When they should have been playing the winner of Barnum and MIB in the section championship.

So they lost in the section semis instead of the section championship, big deal, they are still watching the state tournament from the stands. :x
Cardinal212315

Postby PRFISHER on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Yup your right, they will still be watching from the stands...

Would they be watching from the stands if they got the one seed that they deserved? I guess we will never know.

PRFISHER
Brian Hovland
Head Underwood Girls Basketball Coach
Section 6A GBB Rep.
PRFISHER

PreviousNext

Return to Girls Basketball