Minnesota-Scores.net

MNScores Home Boys: FB Soc BB Hock WR Lax Base Girls: VB Soc BB Hock Lax SB

Twitter Facebook

HVL 2012-2013

Moderators: Snowman, Weinzierl11

HVL 2012-2013

Postby VoiceofDodge on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:13 pm

We are about a month into the season and here is how I see the HVL shaking out this year:

Blue:
1. Goodhue - Going into the season I thought everyone would be chasing Pine Island, but I have seen the Wildcats a few times and Goodhue is the team to beat. They don't have much height, but they make up for it with speed and athleticsm. They also have that player that can take over a game in Miller. And if you think they are good this year, wait until next year, because they don't start any seniors.
2. Pine Island - Been a little bit of a disappointment so far this year. They already have as many losses as they did all of last year. They have the size to overwhelm some teams, but their shooting is suspect and they don't have that one player that can take over a game.
3. Kenyon-Wanamingo - They are missing Auseth more then they probably thought they would, but they have a nice team. Watch out next year becuase they don't start a single senior.
4. Lake City - They had a really nice win over Stewartville last night, but they also have a 25 point loss to Byron. Makes me think that this team is inconsistant, but have the capability to be in any game on any given night.
5. Zumbrota-Mazeppa - Hinsch was their do everything player last year and they are missing her right now. They will struggle most of the season as they don't have anyone that can replace her on the roster this year.
6. Triton - Another tough year in Cobra country. Not very tall and not deep off the bench. They do fly around the court so I give their coach credit for getting his girls to hustle even though they are overmatched most nights.
7. Cannon Falls - I'm not sure if they will win a game all year....

Gold:
1. Kasson-Mantorville - I know they graduated a lot last year, but they have good players that can come in and replace those players. They won't be as good as last year, but I think the Gold side of the conference is down this year and KM will have enough to win this side. Manitz might be the best athlete in the conference and she creates problems for opposing teams.
2. Stewartville - They had a disappointing loss to Lake City last night, but they have one of the best players in the conference in Waugh and she is able to carry them on any given night. If her supporting cast continues to improve this could be a dangerous team come the end of the season.
3. Hayfield - They are a program that always plays good defense so they are in any game, but the question is if they have the scoring to go with it. They have played Goodhue and Pine Island close so they must be pretty decent. Not very much depth, but their top 5 can play with anyone.
4. LaCrescent - They have a very nice one-two combo with Waller and Michalke, but not much of a supporting cast. Also not much size so they are vulnerable against good posts.
5. Byron - They have a new coach, but he has to figure out how to replace the best two players from last year in McRoberts and Murry. They are off to a 5-2 start, but a 40 point loss to Goodhue shows how I think they would do against most top competition.
6. Winona Cotter - Off to a 1-5 start, but 3 of those losses are in overtime. They will give teams a struggle every night, but I just don't think they have the horses to pull out many of those close wins.
7. Lourdes - Another rough year for Myron Glass. His team is young and has some decent talent, but they are still a year or two away before they are off the bottom of the gold division.

Well that is my opinion. Obviously a lot can change over the nexts few months, so what does everyone else think?
VoiceofDodge

Re: HVL 2012-2013

Postby whips on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:28 pm

I heard that Waugh from Stewartville is hurt... does anyone know how bad? I see that her name has not been in the last couple box scores. Without her Stewartville is a much different team.
whips

Postby gopherrube on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Great breakdown....I feel the 2 best teams are in the Blue (Goodhue & PI), but top to bottom the Gold is a lot better.

I don't Goodhue losing an HVL game baring an injury. I see Goodhue over KM in the Championship game.

Interesting that the top 3 HVL teams (Goodhue, PI & KM) are all in different classes for playoffs (1A, 2A, & 3A).

I'm suprised KM isn't better than they are right now. I thought they were going to be the team to beat. They SHOULD win the Gold, but advancing past Red Wing in the playoffs is going to take a miricle.

Goodhue is the most balanced and has the best player in the conference in M. Miller.

PI has great size, but lacks a bench, and are overall pretty slow. They'll likely only lose to Goodhue until playoff time. They certainly have the talent to beat Dover Eyota or Caledonia to make it to state, but the coaching is always an issue with playoff Panther squads.

ZM is really bad, and fell off HARD from last year.

LC- Up and comming....things look bright for LC future

Lourdes- may be a bit down this season, but brighter days are ahead with Lourdes too

Hayfield- solid club...I'd rank them #4 in the HVL behind KM, PI & Goodhue

KW- They have a nice ballclub, I see them as the #3 team in the Blue.
gopherrube

Postby VoiceofDodge on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 pm

The HVL regular season is coming to a close and the post-season is on the horizon. The blue division was dominated by the Pine Island Panthers and the gold division is down to two teams in Hayfield and Kasson-Mantorville. Those two teams face off in Hayfield on Tuesday with the winner most likely representing the gold side in the HVL Championship game. I think that game is a toss-up and either team really has a chance to win. I know Hayfield beat KM in Kasson, so possibly they have the slight edge just mentally knowing they already beat the Komets. It should be a fun game Tuesday night and I plan on attending the game.

Does anyone know when the HVL Championship game will be played and where?
VoiceofDodge

Postby TeachnCoach on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm

The HVL Title game is Monday, February 18th. It will be hosted by the Blue Division representative (most likely K-M or Hayfield, as you stated.) I believe the start time is 7:00 PM since there is no JV game.

Was anyone at the PI vs. Goodhue game Friday? I wish I could have been there. The box score showed a close score at half and at the end of the game. I've been able to see all but one of the HVL teams play now, and it's been fun to see the results and standings on both sides this year. It should be a fun last couple of weeks in conference play.
TeachnCoach

Postby gopherrube on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:16 pm

I was at the PI/Goodhue game in PI last Friday. It was a pretty close game throughout and PI held the lead most of the way.

Newton handled the press well by herself, and Finstuen gave PI a big hoop everytime they needed one. The crowd was unbelivable, and it was JAM PACKED gym, they may have turned people away it was so full!

Goodhue tied it up with a 3 with a minute left, and Finstuen hit a big hoop to give PI the lead for good. Goodhue was forced to foul in the last 30 seconds, sending Newton to the line 3 times, where she hit 1 of 2 all three times.
gopherrube

Postby gotspirit on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am

HVL Title Game will most likely come down to PI and Hayfield (if Hayfield can win one of two remaining conf. games). These two teams played each other in Dec. with PI winning by only 4 points. Should be an interesting match up. Each team has proven they can win when they need to.
gotspirit

Postby VoiceofDodge on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:40 pm

The HVL season is down to its final week... the HVL title game is pretty much set between Pine Island and Hayfield. Hayfield has clinched the gold side, but Pine Island still needs another win to clinch the blue. Does anyone know what happened to Pine Island against Kenyon-Wanamingo? Very surprised to see them lose that badly... Since we are at the end of the season here is my season review on each team:

BLUE:

Pine Island - Had a very good season, but maybe not quite as good as the people in PI were hoping for. I think they expected a repeat of last season where they were undefeated for much of it. I'm still not sold that they can make it through their section and the lopsided loss to KW makes me think that this team is not playing their best ball down the stretch. Nevertheless, they did beat a good Goodhue team twice and maybe they will surprise me and finally make it to state.

Goodhue - Had a very good start to the season, but have lost 3 of their last 7 games. Those losses have been against good teams, but one of those teams is Faribault BA and that team is in their sub-section. I still think Goodhue is the favorite in 1A but it will not be a cake walk.

Kenyon-Wanamingo - After a shaky start to the year they have started to come on lately, especially with their big win over Pine Island. KW is in a very weak sub-section that has only one other good team in it (St. Peter), so if they can play well in that game they might just find themeselves in the 2AA section championship game.

Lake City - They are much better then they were two years ago before their new coach, and have themeselves a nice season going with a current record of 13-8. I see the Tigers winning a first round playoff game come playoff time and giving a higher seed everthing they can handle in the second round.

Zumbrota-Mazeppa - They play pretty good defense, so on most nights they stay in the game. They just don't have the offense to go with it and are still trying to find that scorer to replace Hinsch from last year. I see an early exit for the Cougars this year in section 1AA.

Triton - A bad season went to worse when their best player left the team and Triton has really struggled to stay in games. They do have two conference wins over CF, but that's not saying much. It looks like Triton will play NRHEG or Southland in the first round of playoffs, so it will be one and done in the playoffs.

Cannon Falls - A very bad team and a FAR cry from where this program was about 7 years ago when they ran the table to win the state tournament. At least they did win one game, something I didn't think they would do.

GOLD:

Hayfield - A nice surprise season for the Vikings this year. I thought they would be about a .500 team and all they did was take care of business to win the gold side (for the 1st time in school history I hear). Hayfield always plays good defense so they are in every game even against good teams. Hayfield went 6-0 against the other top 3 teams in the gold (KM, Byron, and Cotter). They also let teams they are better than stay close and that showed with losses to Stewartville and Lourdes. Hayfield has a tough sub-section with NRHEG and Southland in it. How often does the HVL Gold winner end up being a 3 seed in their sub-section? They will need plenty of magic to win that section.

Kasson-Mantorville - My pre-season favorite came close to winning it all, but Hayfield was able to get them twice. They have a pair of seniors in Schlotthauer and Manitz that can lead them come playoff time and I wouldn't want to be the team that has to try to end their careers. They did give section 1AAA favorite Red Wing all they could handle in a 1 point loss earlier this season, and I'm hoping the KoMets can get revenge for last season in the play-offs.

Byron - This team probably surprised me the most of any this year. I thought they would fall off a lot from last year when they lost their two leading scorers to graduation, but with their new coach Byron was a formidable opponent all season long. Anderson, only a sophomore, is a very good player and if she and her teammates continue to develop they might be my pre-season favorite in the gold next year.

Cotter - Their last year in the HVL was a very average one. They played close with a lot of teams, but just couldn't pull out many close wins. Their highlight win of the year had to be over KM and I don't think this team will be an easy out come playoff time. Gernes is a very good player and I think Cotter will drop off quite a bit next year without her.

Lourdes - Lourdes seems to be back on the way up, at least a little bit, as they have some nice young talent led by Helt. She will be a nice floor leader over the next three years for the Eagles. I have heard that Myron Glass will be done after this year, so it will be interesting to see who replaces him at the new school for LHS. If this is his last season, Mr. Glass will not go out quietly in the playoffs and I could see them pulling another upset like last year when they ousted Dover-Eyota in the first round.

Stewartville - When you lose one of the best players in the conference (Waugh) this is what happens to your season. Stewartville had no one that could come close to replacing her and it showed. It was too bad that Waugh, a senior, didn't get to play this year. I wish her the best of luck in what should be a fine college career.

LaCrescent - When you have two scorers that average both over 18 points a game (Michalke and Waller), I can't figure out how this team doesn't have more wins. Their lack of a post and other role players have really hurt them. If they can find some role players to go with their two big scorers for next year, this team could be much improved. As for this year, a first round exit from the playoffs is probably in store.

Well there is my HVL wrap-up... does anyone have any other insight they would like to add?
VoiceofDodge

Postby gopherrube on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 pm

If PI gets beat at Lake City, and PI & Goodhue both finish with 2 losses who plays for the HVL title?

I normally remember the tie-breaker going to the team that has gone the longest without playing in the game which would mean Goodhue (since PI played last year)

However, PI did beat Goodhue twice this year.

Which is the tie-breaker?
gopherrube

Postby stoppre on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 pm

The first tie-breaker is "head-to-head" competition. If the teams go 1-1 against each other, then my understanding is that it goes to the "Rose Bowl" Rule in case of a tie for a division championships. That is, that the team that has had the longest absence from the HVL Championship game gets to go. I seem to remember that La Crescent's boys tied for the Gold in 2009, but did not get to participate due to having played in and won the championship in 2008.
Last edited by stoppre on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
stoppre

Next

Return to Girls Basketball