1. Goodhue - Going into the season I thought everyone would be chasing Pine Island, but I have seen the Wildcats a few times and Goodhue is the team to beat. They don't have much height, but they make up for it with speed and athleticsm. They also have that player that can take over a game in Miller. And if you think they are good this year, wait until next year, because they don't start any seniors.
2. Pine Island - Been a little bit of a disappointment so far this year. They already have as many losses as they did all of last year. They have the size to overwhelm some teams, but their shooting is suspect and they don't have that one player that can take over a game.
3. Kenyon-Wanamingo - They are missing Auseth more then they probably thought they would, but they have a nice team. Watch out next year becuase they don't start a single senior.
4. Lake City - They had a really nice win over Stewartville last night, but they also have a 25 point loss to Byron. Makes me think that this team is inconsistant, but have the capability to be in any game on any given night.
5. Zumbrota-Mazeppa - Hinsch was their do everything player last year and they are missing her right now. They will struggle most of the season as they don't have anyone that can replace her on the roster this year.
6. Triton - Another tough year in Cobra country. Not very tall and not deep off the bench. They do fly around the court so I give their coach credit for getting his girls to hustle even though they are overmatched most nights.
7. Cannon Falls - I'm not sure if they will win a game all year....
1. Kasson-Mantorville - I know they graduated a lot last year, but they have good players that can come in and replace those players. They won't be as good as last year, but I think the Gold side of the conference is down this year and KM will have enough to win this side. Manitz might be the best athlete in the conference and she creates problems for opposing teams.
2. Stewartville - They had a disappointing loss to Lake City last night, but they have one of the best players in the conference in Waugh and she is able to carry them on any given night. If her supporting cast continues to improve this could be a dangerous team come the end of the season.
3. Hayfield - They are a program that always plays good defense so they are in any game, but the question is if they have the scoring to go with it. They have played Goodhue and Pine Island close so they must be pretty decent. Not very much depth, but their top 5 can play with anyone.
4. LaCrescent - They have a very nice one-two combo with Waller and Michalke, but not much of a supporting cast. Also not much size so they are vulnerable against good posts.
5. Byron - They have a new coach, but he has to figure out how to replace the best two players from last year in McRoberts and Murry. They are off to a 5-2 start, but a 40 point loss to Goodhue shows how I think they would do against most top competition.
6. Winona Cotter - Off to a 1-5 start, but 3 of those losses are in overtime. They will give teams a struggle every night, but I just don't think they have the horses to pull out many of those close wins.
7. Lourdes - Another rough year for Myron Glass. His team is young and has some decent talent, but they are still a year or two away before they are off the bottom of the gold division.
Well that is my opinion. Obviously a lot can change over the nexts few months, so what does everyone else think?