Minnesota-Scores.net

MNScores Home Boys: FB Soc BB Hock WR Lax Base Girls: VB Soc BB Hock Lax SB

Twitter Facebook

Marshall VS Mankato West

Moderators: Snowman, Weinzierl11

Marshall VS Mankato West

Postby Young Gun on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Both of these teams are putting up big numbers and could meet in the section final. Who will be the favorite.
Young Gun

Re: Marshall VS Mankato West

Postby Baron von Raschke on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Can't put the cart ahead of the horse, too much season left and lots of things could still happen. I do want this potential matchup to develop though. Marshall sure played a good game last night to excite the Tiger faithful.
Baron von Raschke

Postby Mav52 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:46 pm

This would be a great game and I hope it does come down to these two teams in section 2AAAA, but i wouldn't put anything past Hutchinson either. They are looking pretty good too. West is averaging 57 points per game through the first four games and their offense is looking even more explosive than last year. I think Marshall has the athletes to match up with West but they will somehow have to stop QB Philip Nelson, which is very hard to do. If he doesn't hurt you with his arm, he hurts you with his legs, and if he doesn't hurt you with his legs he hurts you with his arm. He has been hurting every team with both for his whole career. In the first 4 games this season, he has thrown 14 TD's and ran for 5, and is averaging nearly 12 yards per carry. If these two teams play it will be a shoot out just like last year. We will see how good West really is in the next three weeks as they play all 3 Rochester teams, who are all in class 5A. They travel to John Marshall this week, then play Rochester Mayo at home the following week, and then travel to Century in week 6. All 3 schools are very solid teams and are atop the Big 9 conference with West. I'm assuming Marshall will go undefeated the rest of the regular season. I really hope these two teams meet in the section final because I think they match up really well. I don't think there is a team that wants to beat West as bad as Marshall does and trust me, West won't take Marshall as lightly as they did last year. Both teams will be prepared for a battle.
Mav52

Postby WolfontheProwl on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:11 pm

I am not saying who will win or anything like that this early in the year because I know so little about these teams. That being said I have always felt the teams that play the majority of the teams that play their games against teams a class or two below their own in the regular season find it much tougher come playoff time. Marshall is beating mostly AA schools and for the most part not great AA schools this season. It has to be harder to prepare for the playoffs when you start to face the better teams in a section. Marshall appears to have a great group of players this season so I wish them good luck but in general teams that dont play against their own class or higher most of the season struggle when they have to play schools their own size.

TMB has had the same problem the past seasons coming out of a Class Conference in the Little Sioux to then play in the AA playoffs.
WolfontheProwl

Postby codger on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:39 pm

They could very well face each other in the playoffs, but not necessarily in the finals. With all the 2A schools they face Marshall could very well go unbeaten or have one loss and be a 4-seed, depending on how Hutch and Waconia do in the last four games.
codger

Postby scarletfan on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:46 am

codger wrote:They could very well face each other in the playoffs, but not necessarily in the finals. With all the 2A schools they face Marshall could very well go unbeaten or have one loss and be a 4-seed, depending on how Hutch and Waconia do in the last four games.

I don't completely understand the QRF system, but I have to believe that if Marshall and Waconia both "run the table" over their last 4 games that Marshall would be the higher seed. I believe the new QRF formula gives some weight to the victories that a team has (in other words, using Marshall as an example, a win against a Class 2A team with one loss (JCC) versus a win against a 2A team with no wins (Windom) doesn't count the same). The big question - how much added value does the "class" bring to the equation? Is a win against a one loss JCC (2A) worth more than a win versus a team like Mound-Westonka (winless but in class 4A)?

I'm also assuming that the "strength of opponent" component of the QRF isn't based on the record when you play them, but rather is adjusted throughout the season. Otherwise week 1 games are worth substantially less than week 8 games (and that wouldn't seem very fair).
Last edited by scarletfan on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
scarletfan

Postby QBSlayers on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:25 am

Although i hate MW, I think they will win easily. they have just too many weapons to stop, the QB is unstoppable
QBSlayers

Postby scarletfan on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 am

QBSlayers wrote:Although i hate MW, I think they will win easily. they have just too many weapons to stop, the QB is unstoppable

QB - please do us all a favor & keep your crap talk in the LeCenter thread. We get that you play for the Le center team, we get that you are happy about beating BP, we get that you are all pumped up about your football team. We are all happy for ya. Personally, I hope Le Center runs the table & wins state in their final year of having their "own" team. Best of luck.

I only ask this: If you are a true fan - where have you been the last few years? Where will you be if LeCenter loses? My guess - no where to be found.

The MW team (and Nelson) would tell you that they are not only stoppable, but can be defeated. Take a look at this website - not one player from their team has come on here trash talking about the team's they've defeated. Not one player has been on here talking smack. You want people to respect you & your program - start behaving respectfully & you'll get the respect you deserve.
scarletfan

Postby mcrow on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:34 pm

It's not just MW and Marshall this year, I think Hutchinson will also have their hat in the ring and have looked very good so far. We'll what things look like after they play GSL, but there's a good chance that Hutch rolls into sections undefeated if they get past GSL.
mcrow

Postby Mav52 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

I really want to get to a Marshall game before the playoffs start but looking at their schedule, they don't really play anyone the rest of the season that's worth the drive to Marshall to watch a game. Now i'm really regretting not watching them play Mankato East here in town!! They should run the table the rest of the regular season. I sure hope Marshall and West get the 1 and 2 seed in the section so they can meet up in the finals. Marshall needs Hutch to lose because if Hutch and Marshall go undefeated, there is no doubt that Hutch would get the higher seed. Im not sure exactly how the QRF works so i could be wrong. Can't wait until playoffs start!!
Mav52

Next

Return to Boys Football