Minnesota-Scores.net

MNScores Home Boys: FB Soc BB Hock WR Lax Base Girls: VB Soc BB Hock Lax SB

Twitter Facebook

2013 Section 7 9-man

Moderators: Snowman, Weinzierl11

Re: 2013 Section 7 9-man

Postby Nines on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 am

Ccl54 wrote:I think Chisholm will beat Northwoods tonight so we won't see both Ely and Northwoods finish 7-1. It could be possible that both Ely and Northwoods lose to South Ridge and then Ely could face a must win game against Chisholm in two weeks. If Ely doesn't come to play against Chisholm, I could see both teams finishing 6-2 that way.

Do you think Chisholm just ran into a buzz saw last week, or didn't they show up? Is North Woods record and point total only because of playing weak teams? I thought they still had some real talent. Or is Chisholm a bad match up for North Woods?
Nines

Postby ej555560 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:35 am

South Ridge is THAT good maybe??
ej555560

Postby Nines on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:09 pm

That's what I mean by buzz saw. South Ridge is so stacked at the skill positions, they're dynamic. But when it comes to the top of section 7, I'd like to know what separates those top 4? The poster mentioned Chisholm over North Woods, I'm interested to hear opinions on the differences between Chisholm, North Woods, Ely and Northhome? And does MIB figure in? I think their time is next year, but they have a good quarterback. Is North Woods as good as the last two years or are they beating up on the down programs? Is Ely the most complete team? Can Chisholm rebound or will they tail off after a blow out loss to South Ridge like MIB did last year? Is Northhome actually the best of them all?
Nines

Postby 9mnftblfn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:26 pm

South Ridge is pretty stacked. They have 5 kids that they can throw the ball to. Unreal. It looks like they should walk through section 5 and meet the winner of section 7 in the state quarterfinals. We will see tonight when they match up against Ely. Ely is big and strong and has some speed too. Chisolm is a very good team and they cannot be overlooked by anyone. Northwoods has ALOT of team speed and will also be able to beat any team they play. MIB will be the favorite next year in my eyes. I do not know much about Northome-Kelliher by they look like they will go 8-0 but they really havent been tested and they probably will not be tested.
9mnftblfn

Postby Ccl54 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:53 pm

I am picking Chisholm over Northwoods just knowing Northwoods hasn't really been tested and from what I know Chisholm had back from last year (I am yet to see either team play). I think it will be a very close game, I just think that they will bounce back from the game they had last week.

This will be a great week to show where everyone sits in the section. We will see if Ely can compete with the best team in the area and where some of the other teams fall into place. I think NK will be the top seed in the section. I don't see anyone on their schedule that can beat them (both Nevis and Onamia seem down this year). That is of course if Ely/Northwoods end up with a loss.

I think MIB could be a team that could maybe cause some trouble and break into the top four. I know Ely beat MIB 34-14, but it was a tight game in the third. Could the top 5 teams from this section all be in the running for a section crown?
Ccl54

Postby Nines on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Well, that's how you beat South Ridge. Pressure with front four and a corner that can cover Janke one on one. The left defensive end was very disruptive and rattled the passing game. When there was time to throw, Heiman was with Janke stride for stride. Offensively, Ely only had one big run that set up a score and a very dominating scoring drive in the second half that was the back breaker. They also scored on a pick 6 and a kick return.
Nines

Postby 9mnftblfn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 pm

That was a great football game. South Ridge lost the turnover battle. Ely didnt make any mistakes. Ely is big, strong and fast. Definitely the best in section 7. They didnt shut Janke down though. He had at least 120 yds and 2 td. Great players on both teams.
9mnftblfn

Postby mnsportsfan18 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:28 am

Wow, hats off to Ely and their defense. To hold South Ridge to 12 points when they were averaging 48 a game is very impressive. They were able to get some pressure on the qb with their front three guys while dropping 6 in coverage. Casey for Ely (9th grader that came off the bench) was able to make Karppinen move in the pocket and disrupt their flow. This was a very fun game to watch. Two very tough and physical teams, but yet two completely different styles. I think we will be seeing both of these teams again in the first round of state.

One thing that I would like to note is the resepect that both teams showed after the game. When Ely took their final knee, the South Ridge players were very gracious. Right away they reached across and shook the Ely players' hands. It is always great to see these kind of things.

Here are my power rankings for section 7 after week four.
1. Ely
2. Northome
3. Northwoods
4. MIB
5. Chisholm
6. Bigfork
7. LOW
8. LFBF
9. Northeast Range
10. Mesabi Academy
mnsportsfan18

Postby 9manrocks on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Power rankings IMO.

1. Ely
2. Kelliher/Northome
3. Northwoods
4. Chisholm
5. Mountain/Iron-Buhl
6. Bigfork
7. Littlefork/Big Falls
8. Lake of the Woods
9. Northeast Range
10. Mesabi Academy

Match ups and predictions for week 5

Chisholm vs LF/BF - Chisholm should win by at least 2 scores. Probably 3 or 4 though.
Bigfork vs Cherry - should be a good game here. Don't know much about Cherry but if they have depth I think they'll take it in the second half but Bigfork will be physical. Bigfork wins by 2 scores or less.
Kelliher/Northome vs Onamia - probably K/N's toughest opponent yet. They're on a role though and seem very tough. They win by 3 or more scores.
MIB vs Northwoods - MIB will show if they deserve to be top 4 here. But I think Northwoods will take this one.
Ely vs Silverbay - Ely wins by a large margin. They're probably feeling pretty good right now.
NR vs Southridge - Southridge will probably keep NR from seeing the endzone.
LOW vs Nevis - Nevis isn't bad this year. Good enough to beat LOW.

Here's a thought. What if K/N switched schedules with Southridge? K/N plays a lot of Section 5 teams and Southridge plays a lot of Secton 7 teams. Culver is right in the neighborhood of Section 5 so it seems like a good idea. Or is there something I'm missing here?
9manrocks

Postby Ccl54 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 am

What are the chances that three teams (Ely, Northwoods, and Northome) from section 7 go 8-0? That would make a mess for seeding the top three teams. I think Ely and Northome will run the table the rest of the year and if Northwoods can beat South Ridge, all three would be undefeated. Ely may have created the blue print for beating South Ridge (of course you need to have the players to execute it).

My power rankings look like this.
1. Ely
2. N-K
3. Northwoods
4. MIB
5. Chisholm
6. Bigfork
7. LOW
8. Northeast Range
9. LFBF
10. Mesabi Academy

I put MIB ahead of Chisholm for the simple reason of MIB winning three straight and Chisholm losing two in a row. I know the strength of schedule is probably the difference, but Chisholm needs to get back in the win column.
Ccl54

PreviousNext

Return to Boys Football